The Rift 2008, Report of the Rift

« Older   Newer »
Wendybt7
view post Posted on 27/4/2008, 10:39

The Rift Report
April 26th 2008

It was an absolutely gorgeous day weatherwise, the warmest this year so far so I guess that makes up for the floods that James brought with him last year.

I went up there at a reasonably good time, not too early because I don’t do queues anymore but as the seating was assigned to rows, what was the point?

Even so, still had to wait nearly an hour to get in because there was some sort of delay – no explanation but hey, that’s part of the course. The person I spotted first was Patti as usual – filming the queue. Then I saw Jamma and her friend, then Sylvie, and finally caught up with Liz.

I had a good seat, in the 3rd row. There were about 300 in attendance and the venue was very nice. It was attractively restored as a Victorian hall but it was very hot inside. It got quite uncomfortable and there weren’t nearly enough loos!

Also no teas or coffee provided, only cold drinks and alcoholic drinks.

As soon as we got in, we had to queue for tickets for the photographs which took over an hour. This was so absurd and could have been avoided easily if tickets had been on sale on-line. Or they could have sold tickets at the actual photo shoot queue. Buy your ticket and straight in for the photo. But no, there were two queues, the second one in another corner of the hall for the photos with James.

JMLive really need to get more professional about this. It is not the way to run an event, it’s exhausting for the paying customers and makes unnecessary work for the volunteer staff.

While the queue was winding its way around the hall, they started the first Q&As which was Gareth David-Lloyd but I hardly got to see any of this. I heard bits but not enough to remember what he said.

Then there was Eve (I think she was next). It was her very first convention and she was very nervous to start with but she soon got into the swing of it. I never liked the character of Gwen who irritates me no end but Eve is a very sweet girl and very funny. At autographs, I asked her if she had enjoyed her first convention and she said yes, very much. She said she had been very nervous because it was very scarey to come out and see so many people but that we had made her feel comfortable. I explained that most of us knew one another, we get together regularly because of James and she seemed surprised but said it was wonderful that we would do that. She is very touchy feely. She wanted to know my name and she kept patting my hand.

Back to Q&AS. Kai was next, followed by the writers. Keith Topping who is a journalist, interviewed them for about 30 minute and then took questions from the audience.

At my photo with James, he was very sweet and he looked absolutely fine to me. He hugged me but so tightly he actually hurt me, I gasped because I don’t carry much fat and he was squeezing my ribs. I think I said good God or something and he let go.

There were several breaks during the day, one for lunch and a longer one at 6.30. All the time the Q&As were on, there were autograph signings and photo shoots also taking place. A few spot raffle prizes were handed out and there was a Torchwood Quiz which I found impossibly hard. It was definitely for the enthusiasts!

The tickets for the private sessions with James, Gareth and Eve was drawn during the afternoon and the three groups went off together but by this time I was feeling really out of it (no coffee) so I think that took place late afternoon.

There was a second round of Q&As, Kai with Eve, followed by Gareth and James.

Gareth and James are very funny together. When James was going on and on about particle physics (don’t ask) and then about his brainchild series Supergirl, Gareth just told him to “stop blathering”. I though James was a bit evasive with many of his questions yesterday. He starts to answer and then went off at a tangent.

I managed to pick put a few items.

- Dragonball was the hardest job he has ever done. His make-up will make him unrecognisable. He worked with the make-up guy to make Piccolo look really old.
- He had to do his own stunts and got hurt
- Asked if he ever got an erection while on a set. Said no, gets plenty of hard-ons but not while working
- Wants to do an album with his guitar only. Reckons he sings better just with the guitar.
- Managed to embarrass even John Barrowman by the end of Series 2 by making some remark about John’s penis.
- James wants to write a series based on Supergirl. He wants Gareth to be in it and play Stephen Hawkings grandson. (This all sounded crazy to me – was it the flu but none of it made sense) Gareth said James shouldn’t talk about his ideas because they will be all over the F*****g internet by next week.
- Asked what voice he would like on a Sat-Nav system, James didn’t know what that was. He was just about managing to use his cell phone.
- Asked about the reference made in Cardiff to attending classes to learn how to deal with the press and media following Dragonball, said he didn’t know anything about that. He must has lied.

There was a lot more but much of it was stuff we already knew. I’m sure there will be complete transcripts up soon.

We were told to be back by 7.30 for the concert, but we waited and waited with again no explanation. Finally at 8.45 Steve came out looking very uncomfortable and announced that there would be no concert as James had been taken ill with a flu-like bug and was not fit to perform. He offered refunds of £20 to anyone who anted them and said that Kai would come and spend some time with us. A few people went up for refunds but most of us stayed where we were. Kai came on to entertain us with funny stories and some Welsh songs, and a few Rugby jokes, aided by Gareth some of the time, and a fan who was sitting in front of me who is an actress. She went up on stage and attempted “Summer Nights” with Gareth. It was like a silly party, everyone had a good laugh and gave Kai a standing ovation.
Kai had said earlier that he didn’t sing, but being a Welshman, he sings very well in fact. He’s a real trouper that guy and I take my hat off to him.

Then at about 9.30, we all went home.

I will add to this as I think of things and I will answer questions if I can.

Wendy

Skyprague
view post Posted on 27/4/2008, 17:50

Thank you Wendy for the quick report :).
I hope James will feel better soon and I hope I'll meet some of you in London next week :).

Artemisia
view post Posted on 27/4/2008, 18:09

Thanks Wendy! Give for me to Sylvie a big Hug :rolleyes:

sissico
view post Posted on 28/4/2008, 07:40

Thank you, so much, Wendy, for your report; really much interesting! :lol:
I'm sorry, for James, :( I also hope that he will fell better!!

Jammarst
view post Posted on 1/5/2008, 12:57

Hi guys I'm in my hotel at this moment, I'm not so fine :( I have a little problem and today I cannot move from my bed... I hope I'll feel better tomorrow.Anyway I was to the rift and to the Borderline . For a completely report you have to wait , but for a moment I can insert some picture that I took to James. He was so incredible.

p.s. Wendy I saw you just we were in queue, I hope to be able to see you and take some pictures together , tomorrow or at collectormania :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97542171@N00/...57604823501624/

Edited by Jammarst - 1/5/2008, 17:49

Jammarst
view post Posted on 1/5/2008, 19:04

playlist:

Jammarst
view post Posted on 5/5/2008, 21:00

I found this report: http://lovejames.livejournal.com/68322.html#cutid1

I read some report and I insert here the nes more interesting :

-James say that he was thinking of
allowing his son to attend the Premiere of Dragonball with him. He
said that he felt his son was old enough now to be able to cope with
being in the public gaze. He also said that he had tried to keep his
son out of circuit and felt he had done well, but now , he's not a
baby anymore and felt it was time. Or words to that effect. So, keep a
look out for a mini James , I've read that he is a cutie and very much
like his dad. I guess we'll soon see !
- According to a few people who recently went to Collectormania in London,
James has said that he recently has gotten a job for the next 9 months.

Edited by Jammarst - 6/5/2008, 17:28

sissico
view post Posted on 6/5/2008, 12:55

I wish that this news is true. I'm very curios to see James'son! I'm sure that the boy is nice. I hope he looks like his father! ;)

Alain86
view post Posted on 6/5/2008, 14:06

One friend of mine that is also the admin of my forum had to go to London to meet Michael Rosenbaum and he was announced together with James and she has not gone there instead because Michael has cancelled the appointment

ruby76
view post Posted on 6/5/2008, 15:11

Hello :D
I've upload just now some of my several pics that I took to James events, I really hope you'll like them and plese not to post them in other sites without my permission thanks image

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Rubina.Manes

Alain86
view post Posted on 6/5/2008, 15:53

Ruby compliments for the photos, ago pleasure when one sees the happiness when she meets her idol even if you I have read you have seen him quite a lot times :lol:

Ah and another thing Happy Birthday! :D

sissico
view post Posted on 7/5/2008, 09:25

Compliments Ruby, your photos are very beautiful, especially those of you with James, are wonderful!! James is really very sweet with his fans. He is a good person! :wub:
Thanks, so much for sharing.
And Happy Birthday to you, also by me (even if late). image

Artemisia
view post Posted on 7/5/2008, 20:32

Welcome back home to everibody.
I hope you had fun

I'm reading and seeing the reports and photos around the web :lol:

sissico
view post Posted on 9/5/2008, 15:34

Very beautiful these photos!! Many thanks, Jamma! image

26 replies since 27/4/2008, 10:39   458 views