The theatre

« Older   Newer »
littledru
view post Posted on 5/3/2008, 17:47

His career as an actor began when he was nine at school when he had his first role as Eeyore in Winnie the Pooh based on the writings of A. A. Milne.
He went on to other parts at school and in local community theatre:
unknown role in The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley - grammar school
unknown role in The Me That Nobody Knows - grammar school
Maitland in The Chalk Garden by Enid Bagnold · Grace M. Davis High School
Hugo Peabody in Bye Bye Birdie by Charles Strouse, Lee Adams and Michael Stewart · Community theater · Modesto, California

Nel 1980 James left Modesto to attend the Pacific Conservatory of Performing Arts (PCPA) in Santa Maria, California, a state-funded community college whose two year programme he has described as the best training he ever had as an actor. Productions he took part in there included Rhinoceros (in which all the actors become... rhinoceroses)The Dreamer and a new play, Michelangelo, by a local playwright. While at PCPA he also had a number of jobs, including managing a restaurant called Omelets & More, but his talents were clearly in the theatrical line; he admits he "ran the restaurant into the ground".

His next move was to New York, in 1982, to attend the prestigious Julliard School. Julliard only accepts twenty drama students each year for its rigorous three year training and alumni include Kevin Spacey, Ving Rhames and Val Kilmer.

27 - 28 Oct 1982 · Thersites and Diomedes in Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare · The Julliard School · New York, New York
15 - 16 Feb 1983 · Richard in When You Comin Back, Red Ryder? by Mark Medoff · The Julliard School · New York, New York
12 - 13 May 1983 · Yussup in The Caucasian Chalk Circle by Bertolt Brecht · The Julliard School · New York, New York
8 - 9 Nov 1983 · Lord Byron in Camino Real by Tennesee Williams · The Julliard School · New York, New York
18 - 19 Jan 1984 · Sir Toby Belch in Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare · The Julliard School · New York, New York
14 - 15 Mar 1984 · Weisskopf and Bishop in Once in a Lifetime by Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman · The Julliard School · New York, New York
16 - 17 May 1984 · Medvedev in The Lower Depths by Maxim Gorky · The Julliard School · New York, New York
James worked long hours in menial jobs to put himself through Julliard, but unfortunately the teachers did not agree about technique and acting style and so James left after only two years.

In 1987 James moved to Chicago for his first professional acting roles:

25 Feb - 21 Mar 1987 · unknown in The Normal Heart by Larry Kramer · The Next Theatre · Chicago, Illinois
Review: 'The Normal Heart' Rages at Pain, Fear, and Inaction in AIDS crisis
Review: 'Normal Heart' Even Stronger

27 Apr - 28 May 1987 · Ferdinand in The Tempest by William Shakespeare · The Goodman Theatre · Chicago, Illinois
It was clearly a rather modern staging because, for his first appearance, he was strapped naked to a big metal hoop and wheeled on stage.
There are no known pictures of his debut. He says that the stage hands used to try and embarrass him by showing him rude pictures before his entrance.
Review: 'Tempest' Spins off Flashes of Brilliance, but When Dust Clears it's Dissapointing

5 - 31 Oct 1987 · unknown in Red Noses by Peter Barnes · The Goodman Theatre · Chicago, Illinois
Review: Laughter is the Medicine in 'Red Noses'

16 Dec 1987 - 17 Jan 1988 · Pedrille in The Marriage of Figaro by Beaumarchais; adapted by Richard Nelson · Northlight Theatre · Chicago, Illinois
Review: Success and Northlight Theatre's Productions of 'Figaro' are Centuries Apart

17 Feb - 13 Mar 1988 · unnamed role in The White Plague by Karel Kapek; translated by Michael Henry Helm · Northlight Theatre · Chicago, Illinois
Review: Northlight Offers a Parable for '80s with '37 Czech Play 'White Plague'

16 Sep - 16 Oct 1988 · Todd Kemp in Mortal Risk by Ron Mark · Chicago Cooperative Stage · Chicago, Illinois
Review: Grisly 'Mortal Risk' Needs a Bit of Fine Tuning

19 Mar - 23 Apr 1989 · Eric Faber in Being Friends and Geoffrey Church in Lost, two parts of Making Noise Quietly, a trilogy of one-act plays by Robert Holman · Bailiwick Reperatory Theatre · Chicago, Illinois
Review: 'Making Noise Quietly' Comes Across Loud and Clear on Occasion

18 Jun - 30 Jul 1989 · Robespierre in Incorruptible: The Life, Death and Dreams of Maximilian de Robespierre, or The Two Contrary States of the Human Soul by Christopher Cartmill · Bailiwick Reperatory Theatre · Chicago, Illinois
Review: Recalling Robespierre: Play Won't Start the Revolution Without Him
Review: Lengthy 'Incorruptible' Just Skims Surface of French Revolution
Review: Exclusive! Robespierre Talks!

7 - 16 Jul 1989 · director of Something Unspoken · Genesis Theatre Company · Chicago, Illinois
The first production of James' own theatre company; Combined Lanford Wilson's Home Free and Leonard Melfi's Birdbath
Review: A Tale Of Two Beginnings

27 Oct - 26 Nov 1989 · Tegeus in A Phoenix Too Frequent by Christopher Fry · Genesis Theatre Company · Chicago, Illinois
Review: Entombed 'Phoenix' Fails to Take Wing

11 Feb - 1 Apr 1990 · Segismundo in Life Is A Dream by Pedro Calderón de la Barca · Bailiwick Reperatory Theatre · Chicago, Illinois
Review: The Spanish Shakespeare's At Bailiwick
Review: Bailiwick Misses Epic Sweep of "Life Is A Dream"

James remained in Chicago for several years, acting steadily with well known companies such as the Northlight and the Bailiwick and with his own group, the Genesis Theatre Company. The Company preferred new and experimental work; as James says, "we liked dangerous plays" and this was not always popular with the Chicago audience. Eventually, in 1990, James and the two close friends with whom he had run the Company moved to Seattle on the north west coast, where they hoped to find a more sympathetic audience and a warmer climate.

In Seattle, they first performed in the basement of a church, and formed the New Mercury Theatre (named after Orson Welles' own theatre group). Through this and other companies James was involved in a wide range of plays, including Teechers (a British play by John Godber), Anouilh's Antigone, a work based on the Dr Seuss books and Shaw's Misalliance. James got many excellent reviews and clearly had a strong local following. "We attract an audience who want to be challenged and surprised" he said of New Mercury at the time. He acted, directed, designed lighting and managed his own stage company and was said to be "especially good with addled, off-balance characters"

1 - 23 Feb 1991 · director of A Phoenix Too Frequent by Christopher Fry · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington
This was the first production of James' second theater company.
Review: Chicago 'Phoenix' Rises in Seattle

5 - 28 Jul 1991 · co-producer of Teechers by John Godber · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington

Jul - 17 Aug 1991 · Bentley Summerhays in Misalliance by G. B. Shaw · Intiman Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: 'Sleep Tight' Duo Dreams Up A Night of The Unexpected
Review: 'Misalliance' Returns, But Why So Soon?
Review: Intiman Brings Vitality to Shaw's Talky "Misalliance"

22 Nov - 14 Dec 1991 · co-producer of Visitors by Sam Shepard and Joseph Chaiken · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington

? Jan - 27 Jan 1992 · directed and played multiple roles in Teechers by John Godber · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington
Review: Venturesome Debut for Fringe Festival

4 May 1992 (airdate) · Bellhop in Northern Exposure · episode: "It Happened in Juneau" [3.21]

20 May - 13 Jun 1992 · multiple roles in Macbeth by William Shakespeare · Intiman Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: Inner Drama Gives a Nervous Vitality to Intiman's Macbeth

? - 23 May 1992 · director of Two Rooms by Lee Blessing · New Mercury Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: "Two Rooms" Full of Enduring Abstractions

28(?) Jul - 20 Aug 1992 · Haemon in Antigone by Jean Anouilh · Intiman Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: An Intellectual "Antigone"

1 Feb 1993 (airdate) · Rev. Dwight Harding in Northern Exposure · episode: "Grosse Pointe 4823" [4.14]

Mar 1993 · co-producer of Visitors by Sam Shepard and Joseph Chaiken · New Mercury Theatre · Seattle, Washington
part of Seattle Fringe Festival
Review: Fringe Friendly -- Alternate Troupes are Popping Up All Over Seattle, Dramatically Changing The Theater Landscape

(30 Apr?) - 16 May 1993 · set and lighting designer of Kvetch by Steven Berkoff · New Mercury Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: Inner Fears Laid Bare "Kvetch" Combines Humor and Truth
Review: "Kvetch" Neurosis Multiplied

4 Jun - 27 Jul 1993 · Tommy in The Cover of Life by R.T. Robinson · A Contemporary Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: "The Cover of Life": Flavor is Homespun

17 Jun - 3 Jul 1993 · director of Life Is A Dream by Pedro Calderón de la Barca; English translation by Roy Campbell · New Mercury Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: New Mercury Struggles with Old Spanish Play
Review: "Life Is a Dream" is an Event

27 Aug - 2 Oct 1993 · director of Criminals in Love by George F. Walker · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington
Review: "Criminals in Love": Social Reforms aren't the Point
Review: "Criminals in Love": Characters are Eccentric, Plot Keeps you Guessing
Review: "Criminals in Love": A Sinister Farce with a Few Laughs

(13?) Oct - 31 Oct 1993 · co-producer of I Might Be Edgar Allan Poe written and performed by Dawson Nichols · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington

(12?) Nov - 30 Nov 1993 · co-producer of Salt of the Earth by John Godber · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington

26 Nov - 18 Dec 1993 · co-producer of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and Other Stories from the writings of Dr. Seuss · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington

8 - 20 Jan 1994 · Charles in The Shawl by David Mamet, Taxi Driver in Victoria Station by Harold Pinter, and The Reader in Ohio Impromptu by Samuel Beckett. · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington
Review: Seattle Playgoers are Getting a Triple Shot of the Mamet Style
Review: Stripped-down One Act Plays Reveal Much About Language of Mamet, Pinter, Beckett

10 - 27 Feb 1994 · Thomas Mendip in The Lady's Not For Burning by Christopher Fry · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington
Review: This Play's Got Their Tongue

31 Mar - 30 Apr 1994 · Lou in Killers by John Olive · New Mercury Theater · Seattle, Washington
Review: 'Killers' Might Be Too Much For the Pansy

27 Oct - 13 Nov 1994 · Owen in Voices in the Dark by John Pielmeier · A Contemporary Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: Message of "Voices" Isn't Always Clear
Review: "Voices" Whodunit Engages Chills and Thrills

15 May 1995 (airdate) · Mickey Collins in Medicine Ball · episode: "Night of the I Wanna" [1.9]

1 - 25 Jun 1995 · multiple roles in Handing Down the Names by Steven Dietz · A Contemporary Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: ACT Drama Paints Family Portrait
Review: Characters Play Second Fiddle to History in 'Names'

6 - 19 Nov 1995 · Torvald in A Doll House by Henrik Ibsen · Tacoma Actors Guild · Tacoma, Washington
Review: 1-Dimensional Antagonist Hides 'Doll House' Meaning
Review: "A Doll House" Updates Ibsen's Cautionary Tale

(18?) Jan - 28 Jan 1996 · Witness in Investigation by Peter Weiss · A Theater Under the Influence · Seattle, Washington
in conjunction with the New Mercury Theater
Review: Three-Hour 'Investigation' is Poignant and Powerful

5 - 30 Mar 1996 · John Astor in Scotland Road by Jeffrey Hatcher · Empty Space Uncommon Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: Empty Space Theatre's 'Scotland Road' Paved with Deception
Review: Play Uses the Titanic Sinking to Conjure Its Own Ship of Fools

3 - 27 Oct 1996 · Andrew Aguecheek in Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare · Ethnic Cultural Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: Shakespeare Swings in Festival's 'Twelfth Night'
Review: Song and Dance Weave Through 'Crazy', 'Twelfth Night'

11 - 27 Oct 1996 · Macbeth in Macbeth by William Shakespeare · Ethnic Cultural Theatre · Seattle, Washington
Review: Festival's 'Macbeth' is Bloody, Bold, and Resolute
Review: Theatre Review: Macbeth. By William Shakespeare. Seattle Shakespeare Festival, Ethnic

www.morethanspike.com

Alain86
view post Posted on 8/5/2008, 09:48

I knew only because Spike had interpreted but being a fan of Smallville I have started to see better it and I must say that I have revalued him a lot, I like as actor in the part of the bad one both in the expression that is good in the interpretation

Jammarst
view post Posted on 18/6/2009, 16:24

the importance of being earnest

CITAZIONE
James will be taking part in the LA Theatre Works production of The Importance of Being Earnest in the role of 'Jack'.

LA Theatre Works is a non-profit organisation that produces radio plays that are broadcast on their National Public radio. It's also known as The Play's the Thing. The radio play is performed 5 times in front of an audience and then edited for airing at a later date.

Other actors who have been announced for this production are Charles Busch, Emily Bergl, Christopher Neame and Jill Gascoine. For any further details, please go to the website latw.org.

All performances of The Play's the Thing are recorded live for later broadcast on Satellite and Public Radio worldwide.
Performed at The Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles, 2701 North Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles 90049 on June 17, 18, 19, 20, 21.
Showtimes: Wed., Thurs., and Fri. at 8PM, Sat. at 2:30 PM and Sun. at 4PM.

report about the first day from http://users.livejournal.com/mad_brilliant_/43524.html

Artemisia
view post Posted on 21/6/2009, 15:52

There is a little video on You Tube of the James' performance James Marsters in The Importance of Being Earnest :wub:

JamesMyHero
view post Posted on 21/6/2009, 17:10

great interpretation, I love it!!!
thanks artemisia :6a00c2252010208fdb00d41432baf86

ruby76
view post Posted on 22/6/2009, 14:42

Grazie, molto bello, anche se me lo immaginavo diverso tipo una rappresentazione con scenografie e costumi XD

Jammarst
view post Posted on 22/6/2009, 15:00

yes me too, I thought it was a different kind of interpretation.

Artemisia
view post Posted on 6/9/2009, 16:45

From LOS ANGELES CHRONICLE http://www.losangeleschronicle.com/articles/view/117584

She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith (starring James Marsters and Tony Award-winner Roy Dotrice); and

ikkin
view post Posted on 14/9/2009, 21:55

I am confusing myself! Help! Having looked at the LA Theater Works website it looks like The Importance of Being Earnest will be broadcast on 19th September. I am assuming that means this year? And am I right in that date? And will it be available to listen to in the UK?

...After further delving I have found that it is being released on Cd and MP3 download in November but I'd still be interested if anyone has any information on the actual radio broadcast.
Thanks! :)

Artemisia
view post Posted on 27/9/2009, 13:59

Hi ikkin, I found this link http://www.bigcontact.com/latw. I hope to help you.

9 replies since 5/3/2008, 17:47   446 views